Day 597 Flower or Weed?

 

I'm not sure what makes one flower fit for a garden and another considered a weed? If you ask me, daffodils are beautiful and shouldn't get such a bad rap. These pretty yellow blooms are edible as well as attractive, bees love them, and yet, we try our best to eradicate them from our landscaping. When my son was in one of his survival training schools he ate just about anything he could find and said dandelions sustained him when other food sources were scarce. The flower is fairly sweet but the green tastes so bitter that even in starvation mode he had a tough time chocking the stems down. To this day, when I see dandelions I imagine how hungry I'd have to be to harvest them for dinner?! We're a spoiled society, not that I'm complaining, but I do wish there was a greater appreciation for the wonderful world around us and the gifts Mother Nature provides generously provides.  We take so much for granted, until something shakes our world. Big news of the day was a bridge collapse after a cargo ship ran into one of its footings. The video of the catastrophic event is unbelievable, showing the ship crash slowly into the footing and the bridge collapse into the water as if it were built out of toothpicks. The accident happened at 1:30 in the morning, so traffic was minimal but several cars are still missing, horrific!  I can't imagine a bridge collapsing under my car, I admit I assume the road will remain in place when I'm driving! We take so much for granted, our health, our loved ones right down to bridges and tiny little daffodils. My goal for today will be to see each glorious gift the world provides me with greater appreciation. I may even try to pick a bunch of daffodils to fill a tiny vase, showcasing them in the  spotlight and giving them respect they deserve. 

Comments

  1. daffodils are beautiful I would always get a handful from my grandchildren and I would LOVE them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts