Day 612 You had to be there

 

Another Birthday celebration with friends, this time sharing the spotlight with my friend Nicole who's Birthday is just days after mine. Bethany and I walked to meet the gang, packing flashlights for the walk home. Fortunately, our favorite meeting spot doesn't mind us being loud, since there was an abundance of laughter and noise coming from our table. Some friends just make you laugh! Who knows how it happened for us to all become such great friends, we're not the same age and don't have tons in common but we all clicked as a little gang of gals more than fifteen years ago and are still going strong. Nicole and I were in tears as we told a crazy story from at least ten years ago. She and I had met for dinner and were sitting at a bar, eating, chatting and completely enthralled in our own conversation when all Hell seemed to break loose around us. Without us noticing, the room had filled and music started playing, Karaoke night had begun and within minutes we had guys serenading us...not in a good way! Suddenly a very very large dark skinned man came up and offered to buy me my next four drinks, throwing in that he'd even buy Nicole one if she didn't make me leave. It was the strangest but possibly the most enthusiastic hit on I've ever had, my next four drinks??? Did I look like someone that could even drink four drinks?? Maybe he figured that's how many drinks it would take to win me over? Although the offer was ambitious, I declined, but not before he sang Hotel California to me, while I sat uncomfortably trying to figure out how to slip out and away from the insanity. Nicole videotaped the serenade and herself laughing and once safety inside her car we called Bethany and played the video for her as we told our crazy tale. Adding to the crazy, Bethany immediately recognized the mans voice as our neighbor! I guess I should have paid more attention around the neighborhood. Tim wasn't as humored by my story when I got home, but had to admire the guys efforts, offering to buy someone's next four drinks was impressive, even to Tim. Of course there was more to the wacky story, an old guy with black Elvis style slicked back hair who sang Pretty Women to us, shuffling towards us, as we shrunk into our seats. I suppose it was one of those nights that will make Nicole and I laugh for the rest of our lives, images still vivid in our minds after all these years....one of those, you had to be there nights! The stories continued throughout our dinner, plans were made for the upcoming months and into next fall and of course there were Birthday gifts exchanged. The walk home was brisk but any exercise for my legs paled in comparison to the workout my abs got from laughing. Oh, how I love my gaggle of gals. 

Comments

Popular Posts