Day 623 Coop Days

 

A beautiful day outside, yard work and coop cleaning kept me busy while my chickens enjoyed searching through leaves for bugs. The little chicks could only watch from within their cage, still too small to be with my older ladies. I snapped this picture of my beautiful, majestic, Betty White, who seemed to strike a pose as I raised my phone up for the photo. Betty is three years old and as lucky as she is beautiful. If you were reading along a year ago, you'll remember the night of the mink attack, where she narrowly escaped death. That night we lost two birds and as Tim ran outside, into the pouring rain wearing only his boxers, the mink was on top of Betty, her death certain within seconds just as Tim saved her. The mink got away, after battling with Tim for about an hour, fortunately it has never returned. That darn mink had made it into their cage through a very small space, all potential entry points have now been reinforced just in case of a return visit. We watch Betty, scratching and exploring, her bright white feathers calling out to hawks flying overhead, she's blissfully unaware of her vulnerability. I only have my girls free range in the yard while I'm outside to keep an eye on things, although I've heard of hawks swooping in and grabbing one even with someone standing right there. Even with all the dangers that lurk, my girls are about as safe as a flock can be, and certainly a happy brood, especially after a full coop cleaning. This time of year the run gets muddy and stinky, but to my delight egg production has increased exponentially. Tim and I are like a couple of old timers, our chairs set up facing our coop so we can sit and watch them every evening. Our little chicks provide the most entertainment, they are quick and curious about the world around them and eager to join the big girls. It's hard to believe they will begin laying eggs at six months old, this September I'll be eager to get my first white eggs. I'm not a fan of yard work, but thankful I have such wonderful company to keep me entertained as I get down and dirty in the backyard. 

Comments

  1. and they have the most wonderfully delicious eggs - thank them for their sacrifice

    ReplyDelete
  2. ❤️😘🥰T

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts