Day 628 Winning the Day

 


Ever meet someone you immediately identify as fantastic? I felt like one of the characters on the movie, Step Brothers..."did we just become best friends"? Farrell had come to RI to speak at the conference I was organizing for work and the more we chatted the more we enjoyed what the other had to say. Her Keynote speech was all about "winning the day" something I take very seriously. I am always open to bringing new ideas to help create daily success. When I use to word success I realize we all have our own definition of that word, to some it means money, material items, status to me it is health and happiness. I'm not judging whatever floats someone else's boat and certainly appreciate we all need a level of monetary success, but my job simply provides me financial means for my real life. I think it's one of the luxuries of growing old, I can look back on all my accomplishments and can now rest on my laurels a bit. Farrell spoke about legacy, something I've taken very seriously throughout my life, identifying my quest for one after my dad passed away. He left an impact on our community through his career as a principal for almost thirty years. He is remembered as fair, kind and most importantly inspiring and supportive to thousands of kids throughout the years. When I started a non-profit to provide financial support to children for extracurricular activities, planned the first big fundraiser with hundreds of people set to attend, my dad passed away the day before the event. People thought I might cancel but that wasn't even an option. It was as if my dad spoke to me, telling me I had my own legacy to leave, he certainly wouldn't have wanted me to quit or stop moving forward. Life happens to all of us, it's how we ride the waves that defines us, even when the waves throw us under, we need to fight the undertow and come back up. I often say that my children are my greatest gifts to the world, if I never did another thing in life I've raised amazing humans. Although I believe I've mastered winning my day every day, I sat and soaked in every word Farrell said, eager for a new nugget of information I could store in my vault of knowledge. We all have so much to learn, if we're smart. I have a quote in my work office that reads, "You cannot teach a man what he thinks he already knows" by Epictetus. It reminds me to stay open to new ideas as well as not beat my head against the wall when I encounter folks who believe they already have all the answers. As I chatted with Farrell, bragging about my morning routine and successful habit stacking I could see she was also collecting tidbits of useful info for her own vault. All in all the conference was a huge success professionally but that success was overshadowed by the personal insights gained and new friendships made. Farrell rates her days with a five star measurement, not a bad idea. I  arrived home to find Tim, ready to take me out, wine and dine me oceanside and celebrate my day. Friends joined us for dinner and as we sat, watching the sunset over the ocean, chatting and dining on seafood,  I was easily able to rate the day with five stars. 

Comments

Popular Posts