Day 650 Shoulder Pad Witchcraft

 

The 80's party was a blast, fantastic dance music, amazing outfits and flattering photos. The shoulder pad witchcraft made our waists look so small no wonder we rocked that fashion trend. The wide shoulders with big belts is an optical illusion that I enjoyed resurrecting for the night. As people walked in it was easy to recognize Don Johnson from Miami Vice, Magnum PI, Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey from Dirty Dancing. There were Punk Rockers, men rocking mullets, and fanny packs and MC Hammer pants everywhere. The vibrantly colored clothing was a feast for my eyes with neon leggings, pink and purple t-shirts and men rocking brightly colored suits. I didn't dress up to be anyone but the 80's version of myself, wearing my hair as I use to and wearing fun jewelry and makeup, of course I had blue eye shadow to match my necklace. Tim and listened to 80's music all day to get into the party spirit, I think we forget  how awesome 80's music was. I tend to listen to mostly 70's music but after last night will evolve to the 80's more often. As we danced to Paula Abdul, Janet Jackson and Tiffany as I waited patiently for Bobby Brown to be played, finally putting my request in to the DJ, assuming It's My Prerogative was implied. Instead the DJ played an obscure Bobby Brown song but at least it was danceable. My friend made the request again and added the specifics, knowing I'd be disappointed if I didn't hear my tune.  The music continued to be amazing throughout the night, one dance song better than the last until we finally had to hang up our dancing shoes and call it a night. As we drove home we came up with a long list of songs that hadn't been played and we determined there's not enough time to play them all at one party. The DJ had hardly tapped into Prince, Michael Jackson or Lionel Richie, so it looks like another party is needed. As I weed through my closet to discard clothing I'll be sure to keep my 80's dresses with shoulder pads. Clearly they will be back into style soon, especially once the new generation recognizes the power of the optical shoulder pad witchcraft. 

Comments

Popular Posts