Day 726 Fotomat

 

Melissa and I, mean mugging Tim as he tried to get a picture, as per our request of course. Getting the right photo is a challenge, anyone that thinks being photogenic is a real has overlooked all the rejects. Back in the day, we took photos with cameras not knowing what we'd get as a final product until we had the entire roll developed. Out of 24 picture, you'd be lucky to get one or two worth saving, but with the cost of film and developing, we saved them all. When I say all, I mean the half dozen photos of our entire childhood, no wonder they are cherished. Gone are the days of the bad photo's, the new generation will look picture perfect in all photo memories...talk about unreal imaging! I use to joke with my parents, seeing photo proofs of me at a year old, the first and only photos of me as a baby. Was I adopted at the age of one? My parents handed a handful of photo proofs of me during their selection? I realize I was the fourth child in five years, clearly never the center of attention but seriously, no photos prior to one year?! Babies these days have pictures snapped hourly, they'll need flip books of their childhood.  Enough about all that, let me jump off memory lane and get back to that sequin dress, what's that all about? Why, Motown party at the beach club of course. My friend Donna organized her annual Motown party, fun band, lots of food and this year, weather so balmy we felt as if we were swimming on the dance floor. The ocean air was so thick it made everything soaking wet,  along with the extreme heat, we all melted, adding to the moisture. Everyone drank bottles of water faster than I've ever seen, my wine glass filled with ice water repeatedly to try and retain hydration as I danced.  It was great fun singing and dancing to my favorite music, Motown with a mix of disco and although Tim wasn't in a dancing mood, I found plenty of friends on the dance floor. Before long, even Tim joined in, as I knew he would.  I was tickled pink that Melissa and Rick joined us for the party, always love having my favorite gal join me for some fun. Growing up together, you'd think there would be pictures of us as together as kids....I've got maybe three of them! ugh, I guess I can't move on .....Imagine handing an old school camera to someone in their twenties or thirties, have them look through the tiny hole and snap a picture, continue this practice over a couple months until the film is complete then send it away to be developed. Having it return in a couple weeks, waiting anxiously to rip open the photos when they are finally delivered, only to find eye's closed, heads turned or a finger over the lens. The struggle was real and is one that will never be understood by the digital generation. My pink, spaghetti strap, sequin dress may say youngster but looks like my memories are that of an old lady! Missy and I need a few more photos together, still trying to make up for all those years together as kids with no photo documentation...... if there's no picture, did it really happen? Fortunately, our minds snap photo memories constantly, pictures that can be pulled up to make us smile anytime and cost nothing to develop...take that Fotomat.

Comments

Popular Posts