Day 736 Salt Water Fix

 

Beach day perfection. I arrived at the beach at 10;30 with my mom and granddaughter, delighted to be the first people on the beach. Even with the entire beach to ourselves I methodically sat in the same spot I always do, creatures of habit. My granddaughter immediately wanted to jump in for a swim and it didn't take much convincing to get me to join her. The water was warmer than expected, the waves big enough to keep us entertained, jumping over or diving under each one as it rolled in. My granddaughter must be part fish, she didn't seem to tire of the water no matter how long I stayed in with her. After an hour of wave jumping and swimming I'd need a break and she'd reluctantly join me on the sand, waiting patiently for me to regroup before going back in.  If salt water is good for you then she and I should be the healthiest two specimens in the state. After all the work I've done over the past two weeks I needed a day at the beach, desperately and a salt water fix. My mom stayed for a couple hours then headed home, I couldn't bring myself to leave so hunkered down for the afternoon. Tim joined me around 3pm and before long we watched ominous skies roll in with pending rain. I packed up my granddaughter to bring her home before the storm, making it to the car just as it began to sprinkle. By the time I returned to the beach Tim was on the deck, the beach empty after a quick passing rainstorm. He and I ended up sitting on the deck all night, chatting with friends and relaxing for the first time in weeks. I hadn't packed dinner, drinks or much for late day snacks so thankfully, my friend Donna brought me wine, cheese and crackers...aka dinner. She also told me how much I've been missed over the past two weeks, nice to hear! Tim and I have lots of work to do at home, putting away things, sorting through bins we've brought home, but all that will have to wait, we have summer to enjoy and friends to see. It's a good thing neither of us really mind a mess and have agreed it's ok to live like assholes for at least a week. I can feel the crisp fall air trying to sneak in, a brutal reminder of how quickly it will replace the warmth of summer. I'm determined to hold on to the summer season for as long as possible, soak in the sunshine, swim in the salt water and enjoy hot summer nights with friends. Much thanks to Mother Nature for giving me such a perfect day, every minute of it was greatly appreciated...and needed. 

Comments

Popular Posts