Day 765 Flexing my Freedom


 The country was focused on the first and possibly only presidential debate, meanwhile, local primaries were held with candidates winning or losing by a handful of votes. In my community less than 3000 people voted in the local primary. With a community of over 30,000 that's a dismal turnout. I don't believe anyone watched the debate between the two presidential candidates objectively, people seem to watch to see their horse win. Trump and Harris fans watched as if cheerleaders for a sports team and will wake up with plans to still vote for their team, the debate only providing each side with attack material for the future. I enjoy politics, but not the ugliness of people hating people for who they chose to vote for. Each side seems to think the other side is foolish for their choice and aggressively criticize whenever given the chance. Well, isn't freedom of choice what makes our country great? I would be more concerned if everyone in the country agreed on a candidate, with no conversation or discourse, yikes! We don't have to agree, but civility would be a great starting point as we roll into the election season. Back here in little SK, I cast my vote and got up like a kid on Christmas morning to see who won. My local Town Council, State Representatives and Senators impact my life on the daily. Local reps are people I can call with concerns, they are the network to bigger government. These are the folks that hire town managers, department heads and implements rules and ordinances that can impact our lives daily. It troubles me that there's a great push for people to vote, even if they have no idea who the candidates are. When my kids became of voting age I encouraged them to study ALL the candidates, make up their own minds and become educated voters. Their vote belongs to them and I respect them for doing their due diligence prior to each election or abstaining if they haven't. As our presidential election heats up, so will the ugliness between the two sides. Social media feeds this angry rhetoric and fuels negative energy. Telling the masses how much you hate a person is in fact, promoting hate, ugh. I will be going to the polls in November, flexing my freedom and civil right to vote however I choose, as should everyone. I will never hate anyone for voting for their candidate or think of them as dumb or uninformed, we all come to our decisions based on personal experiences and have the right to cast our votes however we choose. As much as I hate to see time fly quickly, I can't wait for the ugly election season to come to a conclusion and I'll respect the democratic process no matter who wins....although, I sure hope it's mine. 

Comments

Popular Posts