Day 786 Up charge

 


You never know what treasures you'll find when thrift shopping and when I laid my eyes on this belt I almost didn't believe my own sight. I had found a funky black dress, brand new with tags on it and thought how nice it would look belted. I wandered over to the belts, just as they were wheeling out a rack with new items. As the rack rolled by me, I quickly scanned all the new belts and purses and couldn't believe what I saw! I pretended to be calm, waiting for the lady to put the items out but as soon as she hung this belt I quickly snatched it up and placed it safely inside my wagon. I covered it with the black dress, afraid someone would walk by, see it and take it if I looked away. If you're like Tim, wondering why on earth I would be so excited about my new fabulous belt, it's a Gucci. Even saying the name meant nothing to Tim, who is blissfully unaware or impressed by designers. He was clearly confused by my excitement until I explained to him that I paid $2.50 for a $550 belt! He thought it was silly that it would retail for so much, after all, it's just a black belt. So the belt probably cost $5 and the GG iconic Gucci buckle bumps it up $545...just a bit of an up charge.  I suppose ignorance is bliss, as most designer items are out of financial reach to the average Joe/Rachel. I could/would never spend hundreds of dollars on a belt, but when I find it waiting for me at a thrift shop, the treasure is appreciated. It's my payoff for meandering through thrift shops, never knowing what treasures await but always on the hunt. I often put together outfits while shopping, seeing what I can put together for under $10 and entertain myself immensely. I'm not sure what the better value is, my outfits or my hour of amusement. Ironically, my fabulous new Gucci belt isn't even the one I selected to wear with my new black dress. I also bought a no name black patent leather no name belt for the same price as the Gucci, to wear with the dress, bringing the outfit total (minus shoes) to $9.50. Not sure when/where I'll be wearing my fancy new black garb, but when I do, I'll be sure to brag about it and post a photo. I can't wait to wrap myself in my fabulous new belt, I'll be beaming with the success of my treasure hunt... and ready for my next search. 

Comments

Popular Posts