Day 909 South Beach


 A long day of traveling but finally made it to Miami. We flew Southwest, and had a layover in Baltimore, where I ran into a friend from SK… of course! Flying Southwest has its perks, “free” checked bags and open seating. The open seating can be a good thing or bad, depending on how promptly you check in the day prior. Tim checked us in so, needless to say we were among the last people to board. The second leg of the trip we didn’t even sit together, he had snagged a window seat in the back and I snuggled in between two giant men who took up way more than their fair share of space. Once in Miami, seeing the sunshine, the traveling woes faded and we focused on exploration! 

Our hotel is located only blocks away from the water. The pier has endless restaurants, all with lively music and fancy cocktails. We walked around a bit, stopping for an espresso so that I’d make it through the evening. It must have been 80 degrees and we were thrilled to be strolling along in our flip flops. We could have stayed at the pier all night but had plans to meet friends in South Beach, so off we were.

We took an uber to Carole and Ray’s  hotel  and were greeted as we stepped out of the  car. We got the two cent tour before heading out to the beach and as we walked through the gate that would lead us to the ocean, I immediately recognized the surroundings as my bike path!! No one knew what I was talking about as I tried to explain with excitement that I was standing inside my virtual run!! It was every bit as beautiful as in my video, I just wish we had time for a long walk so I could see more of it. 

The beach was spectacular, the warm sand under my feet felt like the warmth of an old friend. Although, the city skyline as a beach backdrop quickly reminded me how far from home I was. 

We all had drinks, toasting to our friendship and our upcoming adventures. Then we were off to check out South Beach nightlife. We were dropped off right in front of Versace’s mansion, it was as beautiful as you’d imagine and continues to be swarmed with tourists, all eager for a picture. We had dinner at a cool Cuban restaurant , Havana 1957. The food was great and the dinner show entertaining with Cuban dancers and singers. I began to fade and had to call it a night, heading outside to call our rides. When all of a sudden I felt as if I’d be sick. I went back inside to the rest room, four potential bathrooms, all occupied! Isn’t that the way? I took in the hallway, afraid I’d be unable to wait for one of the four doors to open, my hand held tightly over my mouth and nose as if my shirtsleeve would stop me from being sick. Well, it must have worked, when one door finally opened I made it inside before my body rejected whatever was causing the distress. A knock on the door, telling me my uber had arrived and I was out, feeling better but ready for a bed and a good night sleep. 

To really enjoy south Beach, you’d need more than a day or two, but hey, no complaints here! After all, I found my Miami bike path, check that off my bucket list! 

Comments

Popular Posts