Fair Trade

When our kids are little, we spend years organizing playdates, birthday parties, sleepovers, and family get-togethers, making sure everyone else's social calendar is full. Somewhere along the way, we often forget to carve out time for ourselves. Then the kids grow up, build lives of their own, and suddenly we have the chance to schedule some fun with our own friends...and let me tell you, it's every bit as enjoyable.
My friend Christie had planned a Mahjong pool day weeks ago, and thankfully Mother Nature was smiling down on us. We arrived in our bathing suits and sun hats, ready for an afternoon of sunshine and laughs. Christie had her beautiful pool house kitchen stocked with snacks, drinks, and sweet treats, everything ready for us to jump right into Mahjong.
Well...almost.
First came an impromptu photo shoot, Christie style! I won't give away all of her secrets, but let's just say there was plenty of silliness involved as we captured our summer vibe before ever setting foot in the pool. Then it was time to climb in and play a few games of Mahjong on her floating Mahjong table, which was every bit as fun as it sounds.
I had brought Christie a tiny bird trinket dish as a hostess gift. One that Betsy and I had spotted while shopping a few weeks back, and although she really wanted one, I somehow convinced her to leave it behind. Secretly, I went back later and bought one for her...and another one for Christie.
Of course, I couldn't resist having a little fun.
I waited patiently for Betsy to notice the dish sitting beside Christie's kitchen sink. The moment her eyes landed on that tiny bird dish, she grabbed it, held it up toward me with a look that could kill, silently demanding an explanation, as if I hadn't already seen it sitting there. Christie happily announced that I had given it to her, and Betsy's middle finger immediately shot into the air as she flipped me off for talking her out of buying one herself.
Quite possibly the highlight of my entire day.
Oh what a laugh I had! Thankfully, her expression quickly shifted from betrayal to relief when I told her I'd bought one for her, too. Crisis averted! I have to admit, I love people who don't hide exactly what they're thinking, and Betsy's reaction kept me laughing for the rest of the afternoon.
Meanwhile, Tim was flying solo at home while I enjoyed my girls' day, but he was more than happy to meet me afterward and whisk me off to the beach club for dinner. We sat on the deck listening to another great night of live music while enjoying a delicious meal as the sun slowly began to set.
All this good food is definitely taking its toll on my waistline...but for now, I'm choosing not to worry about that. There will be plenty of time for salads later. Right now, I'm making memories, laughing until my cheeks hurt, and soaking up these summer days with people who make life so much fun. And if that comes with a few extra pounds... I'd say it's a pretty fair trade.
"There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate." ~ Linda Grayson


The BEST!!
ReplyDelete