Home

It's amazing how seamlessly I can shift from making plans to go out to being completely content staying home.

Tim and I had talked about going out for dinner, so I came home expecting we'd head out. Instead, I found him relaxing on the patio swing, listening to music and soaking up the last bit of evening sunshine. I figured I'd get a few things done inside before we left... but one thing led to another, and before we knew it, neither of us had any desire to go anywhere.

A couple pieces of toast became dinner, I slipped into my pajamas, and by 8:30 I was happily tucked into bed. Honestly, it was perfect.

As much as I love getting out and exploring, I'm just as happy being home, surrounded by all the things I love, artwork collected over the years, little knickknacks that hold memories, and the kind of peace that can only be found within your own four walls. Home has a way of wrapping around you like a favorite blanket.

We all have different ideas about decorating, and my kids have been reminding me of that for years. I still remember bringing home this beautiful Henri Matisse print, Moroccan Garden. I couldn't wait to hang it in my kitchen, excited that I'd get to admire it every day. My kids, however, were completely puzzled by my choice. They're all drawn to realistic artwork, while I've always appreciated abstract pieces and the stories they allow your imagination to tell.

To each their own.

That beautiful Matisse has found its forever home with me, where I think we fit together perfectly. Every time I glance at it, it reminds me that our homes don't have to make sense to anyone else. They simply need to reflect the people who live in them.

Life has been busy lately, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. So whenever I get the chance to simply enjoy being home, I take it. So many of my friends have retired while I seem to be busier than ever. Some exciting news arrived yesterday when I was invited to speak at a Northern New England conference this winter. Between a speaking engagement this fall, another this winter, and last year's conference already under my belt, I'm almost ready to call myself a speaker!

Who would have ever guessed?

No matter how busy life becomes or where new opportunities take us, there's something comforting about knowing I always end up back where I belong. Home isn't just the place we return to, it's the place that restores us, reminds us who we are, and makes us grateful for the simple evenings that turn out to be the very best ones.

"Be grateful for the home you have, knowing that at this moment, all you have is all you need." ~ Sarah Ban Breathnach

Comments

Popular Posts