Jurassic

I arrived home to find Tim sitting on the patio, soaking up the late afternoon sunshine. Eager to join him, I quickly tossed the cushions onto our patio swing and jumped right into relaxation mode.

No sooner had we settled in than a great blue heron flew overhead and perched high on one of the trees overlooking the river, clearly scouting for dinner. With its enormous wingspan and prehistoric appearance, these birds always remind me of something straight out of Jurassic Park. Even though we see them fairly often, they never fail to leave me in awe.

The smaller birds seemed a bit unsettled by the heron's commanding presence, fluttering about as if deciding it might be best to keep their distance. Tim and I, on the other hand, were completely entertained. When a great blue heron takes flight, its wings can span five or six feet from tip to tip. Watching one glide effortlessly through the air is an incredible sight, equal parts graceful and powerful.

I always feel especially lucky when one chooses a tree in our yard as its lookout. Having a front-row seat to nature's daily routine is one of the things I love most about living here. It's a reminder that some of the best entertainment comes straight out of nature. 

Tim and I had talked about going out for the evening, but after just a few peaceful minutes on the swing, listening to the birds and watching the river, home suddenly felt like the perfect place to be.

Eventually, we had to pull ourselves away long enough to drop my car off for an early morning oil change. Honestly, leaving the house took about all the energy we could muster. Across from my mechanic is our local ice cream shop and a trendy little restaurant, and no joke, you would have thought they were handing out free ice cream cones! The line stretched halfway down Main Street, and the restaurant was overflowing with people.

Apparently, Tim and I were in the minority. While everyone else was out chasing a Friday night, we couldn't wait to get back home, settle onto our swing, and let Mother Nature put on the evening's show.

"Sometimes the most productive thing you can do is relax." — Mark Black

Comments

Popular Posts