Rain

I'm always thankful when Mother Nature decides to take it upon herself to water all my plants. It's been so dry lately that we've had a water ban in effect for weeks, my rain barrel has long since run dry, and my flowers have been eagerly waiting for my nightly visit with the watering can.
I'll never complain about the rain. In fact, I welcome it. Mother Nature seems to know exactly what she's doing, sending sunshine when things need to grow, rain when the earth is thirsty, and even the occasional storm to remind us just how little control we really have. As much as we like to think we're in charge, nature has always had the final say.
Yesterday, I arrived home with just enough time to grab my Mahjong bags before heading back out to teach. There wasn't a spare minute to catch my breath, never mind water the flowers. As I looked out the window later that evening and watched the rain soaking everything, I couldn't help but smile. One less thing on my to-do list, thanks to Mother Nature.
It got me thinking about how strange life has become. We have online shopping delivered to our doors, dishwashers, washing machines, dryers, robot vacuums, microwaves, microwaves and the internet at our fingertips to answer just about any question in seconds. Nearly every modern convenience promises to save us time, yet somehow we all seem busier than ever.
Sometimes I imagine what life must have been like generations ago. Growing your own vegetables, baking bread in a wood stove, hauling water, washing clothes by hand, and preserving food for the winter. There were no grocery deliveries or smartphones to simplify daily life. By every measure, it was undoubtedly harder.
And yet, when we look back through the lens of history, it somehow feels slower. Evenings spent sitting on the porch, neighbors dropping by unannounced, children playing outside until dark, and families gathered around a fire sharing stories and singing songs instead of staring at separate screens. Of course, if we had actually lived during those times, we probably would have wished for the conveniences we have today. Every generation tends to believe the next one has it easier.
It does make me wonder, though. Years from now, will future generations look back at our lives the same way? Will they marvel at the technology we considered revolutionary and wonder why we ever felt rushed or overwhelmed? Maybe they'll have conveniences we can't even begin to imagine, and they'll be asking themselves the very same questions.
For now, I'm simply grateful for a good soaking rain, one less chore on my list, and the gentle reminder that sometimes the best things happen without us having to do a thing.
"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." ~ Confucius


Comments
Post a Comment