Friday Night

Summer nights seem to be slipping away before our eyes as fall tries to push its way in. Candy corn is stocked on the store shelves, Halloween decor abounds... wait your turn, pumpkin spice. I've still got more summer to enjoy!

So when groups of my friends asked if I wanted to join them inside for a band, I simply couldn't agree and give up a night with a band on the beach. If I couldn't be barefoot, I didn't want to go!

Tim and I got to the club as quickly as we could, ordering dinner before the band started and enjoying a spectacular pink sunset. Before we knew it, we were surrounded by friends, all eager to dance the night away. The band was amazing, as always, and we showed our love by dancing to every song with great enthusiasm.

My legs might actually be ready for fall after all that dancing on the sand... because let me tell you, that is not easy! But I was thrilled to wear my new fun maxi dress before beach season comes to an end. There's just something about a great dress that makes a night feel even more special!

And no matter how crazy the Monday-through-Friday stress can be, once Friday night sets in and the ocean air hits my face, there's not a care in the world that can seep into my brain. For a few hours, everything else simply disappears.

By the end of the night, as everyone began saying their goodbyes, Tim tried to rally the troops to join us at the pub for karaoke.

Seriously?

It was already after 11:00 p.m. Who are we?!

As we drove, I tried convincing him that we should just go home, but he was certain our friends would be joining us. I, on the other hand, was equally certain they would all be heading home.

Sure enough, Tim and I sat there without a single friend joining us, but it didn't appear to bother him one bit. He happily sang several songs to the small crowd gathered at the pub. Tim sure does enjoy a spotlight!

I enjoyed being entertained, but enough was enough, and eventually I convinced him to head home before we ended up closing down the place. Of course, he then tried to convince me to take him to Taco Bell before calling it a night...

And that's where I drew the line.

Not. A. Chance.

So home we went, without the late-night trash food. Sorry, Tim... but you can't always get what you want.

Still, as the summer nights grow fewer and fall waits impatiently in the wings, I'm going to soak up every sunset, every barefoot dance in the sand, and every crazy Friday night I can. Pumpkin spice can wait... summer isn't finished with me just yet!

“Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.”
— Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comments

Popular Posts