Low tide

It was a busy morning, filled with yard work, trimming hedges, planting fall flowers, and getting my new pencil holly trees in the ground. Told ya I had a pencil holly story!

Well, I’m not sure where these evergreens have been hiding all my life, but once I saw them, I knew I needed to have a few. They stay green year-round, grow to a maximum height of about 10 feet, and don’t get much wider than three feet. They take up very little space while still adding height, privacy, and plenty of greenery to an area.

I ordered four of them online because I couldn’t find them anywhere locally. Then, while picking up chicken feed, I happened to spot a couple more. So now I’m up to six... and honestly, I could probably plant six more of these beauties!

After all that, I came inside covered in sweat and dirt, only to find Tim sitting peacefully, sipping his coffee as if the morning weren’t already half over. Meanwhile, I was determined to get as much done as possible while still leaving myself enough time for the beach... and I made it!

I packed up my lunch and arrived at the beach just in time to enjoy the beautiful low tide, devouring my sandwich at top speed. Tim didn’t want to join me. Apparently, that comfy chair of his was just too difficult to leave behind... his loss.

I sat with my brother and sister-in-law, enjoying the sunshine and watching the surf, when all of a sudden we noticed a few people way too far out in the water. As we watched, it looked as though one person was swimming out toward another who was even farther from shore. We could see him struggling to reach whoever was out there and clearly in distress.

The lifeguard saw it too and immediately jumped onto his surfboard, heading out at rapid speed and fighting the waves as he went. We watched anxiously as he finally reached them and everyone began making their way back toward shore.

We were all wondering why the distressed swimmer hadn’t simply climbed onto the surfboard... and then, once they made it back to shore, the mystery was solved.

It was a dog!!!

I’m not sure how or why that dog ended up so far out in the water, but apparently his owner had been unsuccessful in getting him back to shore without the lifeguard’s assistance. It was a good ten minutes of excitement as we watched the whole thing unfold, and then, just like that, we were back to the peacefulness the beach always delivers.

Unfortunately, I had to cut my beach day a little short because Tim was waiting for me to head home, change, and make our way over to the Ocean Mist for another great band.

We met up with friends, Betsy had even driven down for the afternoon and was joined by a bunch of her childhood friends. We all crammed into the beach bar, and honestly, I’m impressed the building was still standing with that many people inside! After a while, we all made our way out onto the deck for a little fresh air... and a little more space!

We watched the seagulls snacking on fresh crabs and waiting anxiously to see if any of us might drop a piece of food their way. Of course, they were watching every bite.

Eventually, Tim and I made our way next door with an Irish goodbye. Karaoke at the pub is one of Tim’s favorite Sunday night activities, and I have to admit... it was entertaining. Thankfully, Tim sang once and was then ready to head home early.

And just like that, another summer Sunday was packed full from beginning to end, dirt under my fingernails, a little beach excitement, good friends, live music, karaoke, and even a dramatic dog rescue thrown in for good measure. I guess that’s not a bad way to squeeze every last bit out of a weekend.

But eventually, even the busiest and most fun-filled Sundays have to come to an end... especially when Monday morning is waiting in the wings!

“Forever is composed of nows.” — Emily Dickinson

Comments

Popular Posts