Tempatation

A table full of packages is a pretty clear sign that I was laid up for a day or two with nothing to do but online shop! As the packages start rolling in, I’ve almost forgotten what I ordered, making each one a little surprise, like Christmas morning.

Of course, I’d be pretty disappointed if it actually were Christmas and these were the presents under the tree: vitamins, coffee-maker descaler, hair elastics… clearly, I’m living on the edge! It really is amazing what we can have shipped right to our doorstep, free of shipping charges. The smallest, most random items can show up within a day or two. It’s almost too easy.

While I was down and out this past weekend, I admit I spent more than a little time scrolling through my phone, shopping and ordering things I probably didn’t need. But let’s talk about the things I didn’t buy, because apparently I do have some self-control left.

I resisted buying new Mahjong tiles, mats and accessories, even though Instagram seems determined to show me every latest and greatest set, and tablescape. Somehow, I managed to keep scrolling. I also didn’t order a new adjustable bed… yet. I figured I’d better wait for Tim on that one. I didn’t order new clothes or jewelry either.

Okay… I did order one ring.

But it’s a small one.

In today’s social-media world, we are constantly bombarded with advertisements and photos of all the things we suddenly realize we absolutely must have. I swear our phones listen to us, then immediately serve up an ad for exactly what we were just talking about, or something we looked at five minutes earlier. It’s amazing how easily we can keep scrolling past all those temptations… until you give a person 30 hours in bed with nothing but a phone and Wi-Fi!

Then all bets are off.

Still, there’s something oddly satisfying about opening the door to find a little package waiting for you, even when you have to stop and think, “What the heck did I order?” I’m sure I have a few more packages making their way here, so apparently the week of surprises isn’t over yet.

And maybe that’s the real danger of online shopping: it’s not the buying, it’s the forgetting. Every package that arrives is a tiny reminder that somewhere, sometime, I was bored, lying in bed and thought, “Oh, I need that!” Thank goodness I'm feeling better, not sure my wallet can handle me being laid up again. 

Today's a great day for one of my all time famous quotes: 

“I can resist everything except temptation.” ~  Oscar Wilde

Comments

Popular Posts