Birthday Traditions

Fall vibes on a rainy day, as we creep closer to the last official day of summer. There’s something about a rainy September afternoon that makes everything feel a little cozier, the cooler air, the changing light, and that unmistakable hint that a new season is on its way.
My youngest son was born on the autumnal equinox, September 22nd, and he has always seemed to embrace the cooler weather that comes along with his birthday. It’s hard to believe that this week he’s turning 36 years old! Seriously…how did that happen?
Tradition has always required that the birthday child gets to choose whatever they want for birthday dinner and dessert. His choice has remained remarkably consistent over the years: Toscana soup is always on the menu, and this year he requested cheesecake for dessert. No complaints from me, I’m happy to make whatever keeps the birthday traditions alive.
My daughter arrived with her family for the celebration, and we spent a rainy afternoon together, eating, laughing and catching up. When it came time for the birthday candles, no one was particularly surprised when he blew them out and they immediately relit. Apparently, the only birthday candles I ever seem to have in the house are trick candles. But honestly, somehow it never gets old. There’s just something about watching a grown man repeatedly try to blow out candles that refuse to cooperate that makes everyone laugh.
And perhaps my favorite part of these family gatherings is the part that doesn’t require any planning at all. I love sitting back and listening to my kids and grandkids talk about everything under the sun. The conversation jumps from historic facts to fitness trends, from random observations to jokes and complete silliness. Someone starts a story, someone else interrupts with a completely unrelated thought, and somehow we all follow along.
I find myself smiling and thinking how lucky I am to simply be there for it.
It’s funny how quickly time passes. I can still picture these kids when they were little, and now here they are, grown, with families, lives and stories of their own. How the heck did they get so grown up?
Maybe that’s one of the sweetest parts of getting older: realizing that the little moments you once thought were ordinary become the memories you treasure most. A rainy afternoon, a birthday dinner, a cheesecake, a few ridiculous trick candles, and a house filled with the voices of the people you love.
I’ll take those moments over almost anything.
And as summer quietly gives way to fall, I’m reminded once again that the seasons keep changing, the years keep flying, and the best thing we can do is slow down long enough to enjoy the people sitting around the table with us.
“The greatest gift you can give your children is your time.” ~ Unknown

Comments
Post a Comment