Favorites

​

So, I know it’s been a while since I’ve given an update on our Basement Cat… so for those of you who have been sitting on the edge of your seats waiting for the latest installment, here you go!

Our sweet girl continues to make slow and steady progress, and she has very clearly chosen her favorite human… Tim.

Seriously? Doesn’t she remember that he called her a dud? That he was trying to convince me to return her early on? I distinctly remember him telling me that I might as well have thrown a wild hyena into the house because she was never going to be a good cat!

Well, apparently cats don’t hear those things… or they simply don’t hold grudges.

Because every night, she comes out of hiding and heads straight for Tim, happily rubbing against him and asking for attention. He can pet her, scratch her, and apparently do no wrong. Me? I might get a pet in once in a while, if the stars align.

And doesn’t she realize that I’m the one providing the important services around here? I give her treats. I make sure she has fresh food and water every day. I clean her litter box. I have spent months patiently trying to convince her that humans are, in fact, trustworthy. Yet somehow, none of that seems to earn me Favorite Human status.

Apparently, this is not how cats calculate loyalty.

She’s been with us for nine months now, and when I stop and think about where she started, the progress really is pretty remarkable. She has explored the entire house and can now be found lounging in the living room most evenings like she actually belongs here. She still retreats behind the water heater when something scares her, and, believe me, she gets scared easily, but she no longer spends her entire life hiding down in the basement.

She still disappears completely whenever we have visitors. Apparently, strangers are where she draws the line. But she has gotten used to sharing her space with Tim and me, which, considering her first 76 days behind that water heater, feels like a pretty big deal.

And, in all fairness, I probably shouldn’t be too offended by her preference for Tim. I’m usually scurrying around the house doing ten things at once, while Tim is much better at sitting still and quietly giving her attention. She seems to appreciate his slower, calmer approach.

So, perhaps Tim is simply her chosen human. And I’m okay with that. As long as she’s happy, comfortable, and slowly becoming the cat she was always meant to be, I’ll happily remain the behind-the-scenes staff member.

Although I do have one question…

Would she like a friend?

Because maybe our next cat will appreciate all my hard work and finally decide that I’m the favorite. A girl can dream, right?

For now, I’ll keep feeding her, scooping her litter, handing out the treats, and celebrating every tiny bit of progress. Maybe I’m not her favorite, but watching this once-terrified little cat slowly come out of her shell, feel safe, and thrive in our home is its own kind of reward. Although… I still wouldn’t mind being the favorite someday!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ~ Albert Schweitzer

Comments

Popular Posts