Travel

​

Busy morning prepping the house for a big storm while simultaneously packing a bag for my afternoon flight to Virginia with my mom. As eager as we were to head out for our adventure, there were plenty of must-dos to tackle first. I spent the morning securing outdoor items, bringing things inside and making sure everything was ready for the high winds heading our way. Fortunately, my flight was scheduled to leave just ahead of the impending storm!

Household chores done, small bag packed, my mom and I headed to the airport, early, excited and more than ready for a few days away with my son.

Lunch at the airport is always entertaining. There’s something fun about sitting back and watching the people go by, all scurrying from gate to gate with their bags in tow. And, of course, it’s always amusing to see what some people think is a good idea for a travel outfit...yikes. 

As we made our way toward our gate, I spotted a familiar face and we quickly stopped to chat with a friend who was heading off on her own adventure. Apparently, the airport was the place to be that afternoon because when we reached our gate, we simultaneously found another friend, one who was actually on the same flight to Virginia as us!

It turns out this is the same friend who, about a year ago, happened to be on a flight with me and my younger son. Had I known, we could have shared a ride to the airport and saved ourselves some parking fees. Note to self: apparently I need to start checking the passenger list before every trip! 

My son was waiting for us when we arrived in Virginia, looking as handsome as ever and wearing an even bigger smile. We settled in at his house for a bit before heading out to dinner at his favorite burger place, where everything, including the fries, is cooked in beef tallow. Two enormous bowls of fries were no match for us!

I almost ordered an ice cream shake when I saw one go by, thinking I’d have plenty of room for dessert after my burger. Foolishly, I forgot that my eyes are often much bigger than my stomach. Half a burger in, and I was stuffed!

An early bedtime was definitely in order. After a busy morning, a flight, good food and a long-awaited reunion with my son, we were more than ready to call it a night. Tomorrow, the real Williamsburg adventures begin, and I have a feeling there will be plenty to see, eat and enjoy along the way.

“We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.” — Robyn Yong

Comments

Popular Posts