Treasures

​

Treasure hunting in Virginia! And I definitely scored with this awesome Davey Crockett milk glass mug.

After shopping our way through downtown Williamsburg and scanning the shelves of mass-produced souvenirs, many of them priced astronomically high, I wasn't even tempted to buy a thing in any of the gift shops. Don't get me wrong, I love a good souvenir, but I wanted to bring home something with a little more character, something that felt like I had actually discovered it rather than simply purchased it.

So, eager to find a small treasure to take home, I talked my son into taking me to a local thrift shop. I happily scanned the housewares, and there it was: this little Davey Crockett milk glass mug! A quirky, vintage find and exactly the kind of treasure I was hoping to uncover. Of course, it came home with me ...for a whopping $2. 

I also picked up a few ceramic pots, which meant an afternoon of repotting was in order. A few of my sons plants had been looking for a bigger home, so I put my green thumb to work right here in Virginia. There's something oddly satisfying about giving a struggling plant a fresh pot, fresh soil, and a little room to stretch its roots. 

After successfully rehoming a few plants, we headed off to lunch at one of my favorite places here in Virginia, Hohl, for the best darn lamb sandwich you can imagine. I wanted my mom to try it because I knew she'd love it, and of course, She did!

The day continued with one of my favorite kinds of evenings: good food, family, and a little friendly competition. Sequence was first, followed by an epic game of Parcheesi, and before we knew it, we had somehow stayed up well past our bedtime! 

Dinner was another highlight, with a crockpot full of homemade beef bourguignon, compliments of Samantha. It was hearty, delicious, and thoroughly enjoyed by everyone. After a full day of treasure hunting, plant potting, eating, and playing games, a quiet evening visiting at home was exactly what we needed.

My favorite days are when you stumble upon a little treasure, share a favorite meal, laugh over a game, and simply enjoy being together. My Davey Crockett mug may be the souvenir I brought home, but these ordinary little moments are the real treasures of the trip. We'll see what tomorrow brings!

“The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.” ~ Eden Phillpotts

Comments

Popular Posts