Tupperware

Vintage Tupperware... Don't Mind If I Do!
Chatting with Donna on my way to the thrift shop, she mentioned that she was on the hunt for a cake carrier and asked me to keep my eyes open. Well, we all know how much I love a good treasure hunt, so I happily agreed. Imagine my delight when, within minutes of walking through the door, I was able to text her that I'd already scored her a carrier! Of course, I had a few questions: Did she want rectangular or round? Large or small? As it turned out, I'd grab them all!
At $5 apiece for these fabulous vintage Tupperware carriers, the kind we all remember our parents or grandparents having, I was more than happy to claim whichever two Donna didn't want for myself. Sure, you can buy a cake carrier on Amazon for $16, but it certainly wouldn't come with half the character, nostalgia, or retro vibe of these beauties! There's just something about finding an old-fashioned treasure that makes it so much more satisfying than clicking a button and having something delivered to your door.
I don't always score what I'm searching for within minutes, but when it happens, I like to think the universe is happily working with me. And I am always appreciative when it does! It must have been my lucky day, because I also stumbled upon a beautiful pink Talbots cashmere sweater for a whopping $10. Now that's a shopping day worth celebrating!
I'm a sucker for good fabric. Give me 100% cotton, linen, wool, and, of course, my all-time favorite, cashmere. When I'm thrifting, I can run my hand along a rack of sweaters, and with just a touch, I can pick out a cashmere piece. It simply feels better. There's a certain softness and quality that's hard to mistake, and once you've developed a fondness for it, you know exactly what you're looking for.
The funny thing about thrift shops is that they often price a cheap Walmart or Old Navy sweater the same as a beautiful cashmere one. But shhh... I'm certainly not complaining! I'll happily scoop up the good stuff while leaving the rest behind. It's one of the little joys of thrift shopping: you never quite know what you'll find, and sometimes the best treasures are hiding in plain sight.
As I roll into fall, I'm officially embracing sweater weather and looking forward to organizing my growing pile of woolens. Cooler days mean wrapping myself in the warmth and softness of cashmere, which has a way of making even the chillier months feel a little more luxurious. And now, with three vintage cake carriers in the mix, I suppose it's only fitting that I put one to good use.
After all, what's better than a little fall baking, a homemade cake, and a fabulous retro carrier to transport it in? A $5 treasure, a $10 cashmere sweater, and a whole lot of appreciation for the simple pleasures of a lucky day. Sometimes the best finds aren't just about what we bring home, but the fun of the hunt and the little surprises along the way. And if a good thrift-store score can make an ordinary day feel special, I'll gladly keep hunting!
“Happiness consists more in conveniences of pleasure that occur every day than in great pieces of good fortune that happen but seldom.” — Benjamin Franklin


Comments
Post a Comment